It’s trade deadline day!
The trade deadline is upon us, here is everyting you need to know!
When is the trade deadline?
Teams have until 3 p.m. CT on Friday, July 30 to make trades. Most years, trades can be made until July 31, but since that day falls on a Saturday this year and MLB wanted to avoid trades made during game play, the deadline will be Friday.
There will also no longer be August waiver trades, so this is the last week to make any sort of trade before the post-season.
Who could the Royals be looking to move?
The Royals made their first move on Thursday, sending longtime pitcher Danny Duffy to the Dodgers for a player to be named later that is contingent on how much Duffy is able to contribute. Dayton Moore has seemed open to moving other players that will be eligible for free agency at the of the season, a list that includes Jorge Soler, Michael Taylor, Jarrod Dyson, Ervin Santana, and Greg Holland.
Moore seems less open to trading players with several controllable years, such as Whit Merrifield. Recent reports indicated the Mariners had made a “push” to acquire the All-Star second baseman, but Jeff Passan recently reported that there is no traction on those efforts. Moore this week said he would have to be “overwhelmed” to move what he termed a “key contributor” and reiterated Thursday that they would stay pretty disciplined on that front.
Royals GM Dayton Moore maintained his stance on trading their core pieces today: “We’re pretty disciplined with what we want back in terms of players if we’re ever going to deal some of our major league talent (that is under control).”
— Alec Lewis (@alec_lewis) July 30, 2021
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) July 30, 2021
Passan indicated that starting pitching could be in demand, listing Mike Minor as a possibility to be dealt. Carlos Santana could draw interest, although the Red Sox and Yankees already made moves to address their first base needs. But Moore expressed reluctance to deal players signed through at least next year, and Mark Feinsand reported the Royals were not inclined to trade Santana when Boston came calling.
Moore said they’d remain “open” and listen on potential deals, but he was pretty frank about his reluctance to trade players with years remaining on their contracts. “I don’t want to trade Mikey Minor. I don’t want to trade Whit Merrifield. I don’t want to trade Carlos Santana.”
— Lynn Worthy (@LWorthySports) July 30, 2021
Scott Barlow could also draw interest, although Dayton Moore will likely be very reluctant to trade him.
The Royals also have a glut of catching depth behind Salvador Perez, which could lead to a minor trade of Cam Gallagher, Sebastian Rivero, or Meibrys Viloria, or possibly even a trade of top prospect MJ Melendez to fill another need.
What trades have already happened?
It has already been a busy week leading up to the trade deadline!
- The Twins traded designated hitter Nelson Cruz and pitcher Calvin Faucher to the Rays for pitchers Joe Ryan and Drew Strotman
- The Pirates traded second baseman Adam Frazier to the Padres for infielder Tucupita Marcano, outfielder Jack Suwinski and pitcher Michell Miliano
- The Rays traded pitcher Rich Hill to the Mets for infielder Matt Dyer and pitcher Tommy Hunter
- The Pirates traded pitcher Clay Holmes to the Yankees for infielders Diego Castillo and Hoy Park
- The Cubs traded pitcher Andrew Chafin to the Athletics for outfielder Greg Deichmann and pitcher Daniel Palencia
- The Mariners traded pitchers Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero to the Astros for infielder Abraham Toro and pitcher Joe Smith
- The Pirates traded pitcher Tyler Anderson to the Mariners for catcher Carter Bins and pitcher Joaquin Tejada
- The Yankees traded pitchers Luis Cessa and Justin Wilson to the Reds for a player to be named later
- The Rockies traded pitcher Mychal Givens to the Reds for pitchers Noah Davis and Case Williams
- The Marlins traded outfielder Starling Marte and cash to the Athletics for pitcher Jesus Luzardo
- The Diamondbacks traded infielder Eduardo Escobar to the Brewers for infielder Cooper Hummel and third baseman Alberto Cipria
- The Marlins traded pitcher Yimi Garcia to the Astros for outfielder Bryan De La Cruz and pitcher Austin Pruitt
- The Rangers traded outfielder Joey Gallo and Joely Rodriguez to the Yankees for infielders Ezequiel Duran, Josh Smith, Trevor Hauer, and pitcher Glenn Otto
- The Nationals traded pitcher Brad Hand to the Blue Jays for catcher Riley Adams
- The Indians traded second baseman Cesar Hernandez to the White Sox for pitcher Konor Pilkington
- The Cubs traded pitcher Ryan Tepera for pitcher Bailey Horn
- The Cubs traded first baseman Anthony Rizzo to the Yankees for pitcher Alexander Vizcaino and outfielder Kevin Alcanta
- The Rays traded pitcher Diego Castillo to the Mariners for pitcher JT Chargois and third baseman Austin Shenton
- The Nationals traded pitcher Daniel Hudson to the Padres for pitcher Mason Thompson and infielder Jordy Barley
- The Nationals traded outfielder Kyle Schwarber to the Red Sox for pitcher Aldo Ramirez
- The Nationals traded shortstop Trea Turner and pitcher Max Scherzer to the Dodgers for catcher Keibert Ruiz, outfielder Donovan Casey, and pitchers Josiah Gray and Gerardo Carillo
What are some other rumors around baseball?
The Cubs may not be done after having already dealt Rizzo, with third baseman Kris Bryant, and reliever Craig Kimbrel the big names being discussed. The Giants had been rumored to be interested in Bryant, with catching prospect Joey Bart’s name mentioned.
The Rockies could move shortstop Trevor Story, with the Yankees and Mets reportedly interested. Third baseman J.D. Davis is one name the Mets would be willing to part with. Pitcher Jon Gray could be another Rockies player on the move, although Mark Feinsand reports Colorado will not trade him or reliever Daniel Bard.
The Twins have received a lot of interest in pitcher Jose Berríos, with the Padres very interested, but he’s not a free agent until next year so they may hold onto him.
The Rangers have received interest in pitcher Kyle Gibson – reportedly from Boston – and the Dodgers are interested in former Royals pitcher Ian Kennedy. Angels closer Raisiel Iglesias could be moved as teams are always looking for bullpen help.
Consider this your trade deadline open thread! Will the Royals make any more moves?